Pure Maple Syrup is packed with nutritional benefits.
Nutritionists Stéphanie Côté and Mélanie Olivier discuss the nutritional content of maple syrup and how it is a great source of energy before, during, and after sports and exercise.
100% pure maple syrup from Canada is a natural sweetener that is derived directly from the maple tree’s sap that, when consumed in moderation can be part of a healthy diet. With its unique sweet flavor, pure maple syrup can be used in both sweet and savory culinary applications. It can be used as replacement for other sweeteners in a variety of desserts and baked goods, such as pies and cakes.
- Pure maple syrup from Canada contains vitamins and minerals – at approximately 110 calories per serving (2 tablespoons). It is an excellent source of manganese and a good source of riboflavin. Pure maple syrup is also a source of calcium, thiamin, potassium, and copper.
- Scientists have identified more than 67 different plant compounds, or polyphenols, nine of which are unique to pure maple syrup. One of these polyphenols, named Quebecol, naturally forms when the sap is boiled to produce maple syrup.
Maple Syrup provides nutrients in a sweet taste
The vitamins and minerals in 100% pure Maple Syrup from Québec may help to maintain a healthy body. One 30 ml (2 Tablespoons) serving of Maple Syrup contains 35% of the Daily Value of Manganese and 15% for Riboflavin.
Two Nutrition Facts labels are pictured above. The 30ml label applies to the United States and the 60ml label applies to Canada.
Maple Syrup for Fitness
- Pure maple syrup can be a natural endurance booster for athletes because it is made primarily of carbohydrates. Since carbohydrates are the primary fuel for the body, it can help give athletes the energy they need. Use in homemade sports drinks and energy snacks for a readily available supply of energy that helps maintain your stamina.
- Energy beverages and bars made with pure maple syrup can be an excellent choice compared to commercial alternatives, because it is free of any coloring or additives.
- Pure Maple syrup contains manganese, which may help support healthy muscles.