Ingredients for Crust
- 480 ml flour
- Pinch of salt
- 120 ml cold butter, cut into small cubes (1 stick)
- 120 ml cold water
Ingredients for Filling
- 45 ml butter
- 80 ml cornstarch
- 530 ml pure maple syrup from Canada
- 60 ml cream
- 120 ml water
- Coarse sea salt, to garnish
To prepare the crust:
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Using a pastry knife or your hands, cut butter into flour mixture until dough resembles coarse meal. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring until dough comes together into a uniform ball. Wrap in cling wrap and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- On a floured surface, roll dough 1/8-inch thick and line a 9-inch pie tin with dough. Prick with a fork. Top with baking paper and dried beans. Bake until crust is golden, 15-20 minutes. Remove baking paper and beans, and allow crust to cool.
To prepare the filling:
- In a large pot over medium low heat, melt butter. Remove from heat.
- Add cornstarch and mix well to combine.
- Stir in maple syrup, cream and water.
- Return pot to heat. Bring to a boil. Cook until mixture becomes thick and sticky. Allow to cool 20 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape filling into pie dough. Allow pie to rest 1 hour at room temperature, or 30 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.
In honor of tapping season, treat yourself to some of our new sugar shack-inspired recipes. This surprisingly easy maple sugar pie is the quintessential Canadian dessert and sure to impress anyone you serve it to!